There is nothing too much worse than trying to locate something in your refrigerator and finding out that you cannot find it and you have to empty every drawer and shelf to discover that it is hidden behind the tub of butter in the back.
Wouldn’t it be so much easier to cook meals every night if your refrigerator was organized and free from clutter? But, how exactly do you achieve that? Below, we will go over some tips to help you.
- The first step in the process is to take everything out of your fridge. Yes, everything. It may seem like a difficult task, but you will soon find that it is worth it in the end.
Once everything is out, clean the entire fridge with a mixture of water and vinegar. You should scrub down the shelves and all of the drawers. After each drawer and shelf is clean, dry it with a clean rag.
- The second step in the process is to go through all of the food you removed from your fridge and throw out anything that is expired. If the food is nearing the expiration date and you know that you will definitely not use it prior to the expiration, just toss it out. If you keep everything, you will find that you are right back in the same position you once were.
- The third step in the process is to consolidate all of the food that you can. What we mean by this is to take those two open jars of jelly and combine them into a single jar of jelly. This will help cut down on the space that is being used.
- Next, you need to have a spot for like items. For example, one of the shelves on the fridge door should be used for all of your salad dressings or all of your condiments. This way, everything is readily available and you can see what you have and don’t have.
- If you want to make spills easier to clean up, line all of the shelves in your refrigerator with wax paper. When you do this, you will be able to easily remove the paper if a spill does occur. You can place your items on top of the wax paper and it will not harm any of the containers.
- Next, keep your vegetables and lunch meats in drawers. You should have a drawer designated for all of your vegetables and then another drawer designated for lunch meats and cheeses. Label the drawers, so that everyone knows where to find what they need.
- Lastly, keep your milk in the back of the fridge, so it stays cool and place all of your leftovers in containers on a shelf. It is easiest to use stackable containers because you can fit more food into one place without sacrificing shelf room.
If you are ready to organize and declutter your fridge, do it now and stop wasting time. You will find that a clutter-free fridge is easier to work with and you will be more motivated to cook dinners.